What is your 2021 vision for your career? Are you job hunting? Are you planning to switch careers? Are you seeking a promotion at your workplace? What are your career goals? If you are seeking career growth in 2021, then you need a vision board. A vision board is a visual representation of an individual’s goals, dreams and aspirations.
Every year, we find ourselves informing our loved ones of our new year resolutions. Do you actually work towards achieving your new year career resolutions? The truth is, working to achieve a plan is very difficult. Achieving a goal needs time and commitment. Sometimes, the body is weak but the desire to succeed is strong. Here comes the need to create a career vision board.
Why You Need a Career Vision Board This Year
- Clarity: A vision board will help you clarify your career path and your life. If you need clarity on your career path, then creating a vision board is the way to go. It will give you a sense of direction and understanding of how to refocus your career. A vision board represents a fun and creative way to present your goals. Having a vision board will help you create a more detailed vision of your career life in 2021.
- We are in a pandemic: Coronavirus is still in our midst. We hope the world recovers from this disease. As countries are beginning to open gradually, and life slowly becoming normal, you need a vision board to direct your path and decide on the steps to take to help you achieve your 2021 career goals. You need to take important strategy steps now more than before to support your career growth. So many individuals have been laid off due to the pandemic and this has made the job market to become more saturated.
Important Tips to Note When Creating Your Vision Board
- Find a career mentor: Most individuals who have been successful and climbed up the ladder careerwise have a mentor. You will need a career mentor to provide you with ideas, insights and experience in your chosen career path for 2021 while working on your vision board.
- Highlight your 2021 career goals: Decide on your top career priorities in 2021. What do you set to achieve in 2021 to boost your career? Write them down. Note them.
- Steps needed to achieve each goal: Each goal on your vision board has a unique step that you need to follow to achieve it. Highlight the necessary steps, tasks and processes that need to be done to bring each career goal into fruition.
- Do you need a hard copy or digital copy?: Decide if you need a hard copy or digital copy of your vision board. Whichever one you choose, ensure it is most suitable and convenient for you. You can create your digital vision board with the help of a website or app. I will recommend Canva, Pinterest, PowerPoint, PiMonkey or Collage Maker. Poster boards, books, scissors, sticky notes, pins, markers, glue, chalk, pens, etc. are a few materials needed to develop your hard copy vision board.
- Motivational quotes: Motivational quotes can serve as an inspiration for you to succeed. They will serve as an inspiration to keep you on track and focus. Research on motivational quotes that are in line with your 2021 career goals and work industry. These motivational quotes may be from an expert in your work field or a public figure that you admire. There is no harm in creating your own motivational quotes.
What’s Next After Creating Your Vision Board?
- Daily Reminder: Remind yourself daily of your set career goals for 2021. Look at your vision board every day. Accessing your vision board daily will make you intentional while carrying out the steps needed to help you achieve your goals. This will keep you focused, consistent and determined. You can inform your friend, colleague or family member about your 2021 career goals to constantly remind. Read and memorize your goals as often as possible. Make your vision board a part of you. Look at your vision board every morning before breakfast and evening after dinner.
- Walk towards your goal: Follow every step you need to achieve every goal on your vision board. Be proactive. Make sure every step you take daily is in line towards achieving a goal in 2021. Walk your vision board.
- Read: Knowledge is wealth. The most successful people read daily. Read about your interested industry. Read to understand your career journey.
- Review your vision board with your mentor: Schedule meetings with your career mentor to review your vision board. Seek advice. Determine if your set target for a goal should be extended or moved closer. If you don’t have a career mentor, review your vision board yourself. Keep track of your progress.
- Celebrating every achievement: It is very important to celebrate every achievement made on your vision board. Every win matters. Do not go hard on yourself because you did not achieve a particular goal on your vision board. Let your wins be celebrated over your loses.
- End of the year review: In December 2021, take a step back and appreciate your hard work. Look at every goal achieved. compare your 2020 progress to your 2021 progress. Have you improved career-wise? Did you get your dream job? Did you get that promotion? Were your career dreams achieved this year? Did you hit that career milestone? What lessons did you learn in 2021?
- 2022 Goal setting: In December 2021 you should start making strategic plans for your 2022 goals. You should always set a career goal for yourself every year. Create a new vision board for 2022.
The best way to succeed is to have a specific Intent, a clear Vision, a plan of Action, and the ability to maintain Clarity…
- Steve Maraboli.
If you need help creating your vision board to support your 2021 career growth you can contact me through this link for a free 1-hour consultancy session.